To me, art and travel had always been more solitary acts.
More than just time goes into each piece of work an artist creates. Whether it is a paragraph on a page or an oil painting that took months to do, each is a piece of the artist’s heart and soul.
I have found my solitude, my serenity and a balance to the chaos of life around me, in my art. And although many times my travels were with friends and family they still felt personal and private.
But an individual does not thrive alone. Maintaining that bubble of solitary confines and hinders growth. Opening up to those around you allows a flow of energy that sparks creativity.
However, there is a balance to being able to hold onto your uniqueness as an artist while learning from others. And still staying true to your core as you are absorbing others ideas may be difficult. But, it is worth it. Remembering why you create is the key. It is easy to get sucked into the thought of competition or financial gain. But I have found staying true to the feelings of creating, will always come through in the quality of the piece. And quality brings about the desired outcomes.
I try to remember Art is subjective
There will always be those that like it and those that don’t. I focus on creating for me. This allows me to share my work without fear. And I am so glad that I did. In doing so I have found that there are groups of artists and professionals that share my enthusiasm for art and embrace my uniqueness. Like-minded individuals that made me feel a part of this glorious art community. Ones that I could learn from, socialize with and enjoy their comradery. Great people that inspire me to make each piece better than the last.
- (TAC) The Art Center
- (JAG) Jacksonville Artists Guild
- Arts for Health Florida
- Americans for the Art
- (AGOP) Art Guild of Orange Park
- The First Coast Plein Air Painters
- International Encaustic Association
- Jacksonville Coalition for the Visual Arts
- Plein Air Florida
- SOMMA – Society of Mixed Media Artists
- St. Augustine Art Association
- Jacksonville Cultural Council
- Professional Photographers of America
- Jacksonville Professional Photographers Guild
- American Society of Media Photographers
- North American Nature Photography Association
Other professional associations: